Thursday, July 8, 2010

Style Series: California Common

First of all I really don't like the name of this style. Hopefully some day Anchor will release the Steam Beer name. I have not been able to figure out a clever name but that's also not my style. But I will say that brewing in East Village is not Common (see pics). I want to brew to style for this one and that means start with Jamil's recipe. Plus I am not that familiar with the style because really the only commercial style is Anchor steam. So the only change in the recipe was to use Extra Special Malt instead on Pale Chocolate. I did this because first I can't pass up on the name and second I think it will add some toastiness that pale chocolate does but still keeps the color where I want it.

Recipe: California Common
O.G.-1.053  F.G.-TBD   IBU-38 
SRM-12.5   ABV-4.8-5.2%%   Cal-188

Grain Bill (75% Efficiency):
6 lb 2-row Malt (61.5%)
2 lb Munich 10L Malt (20.5%)
1 lb  Crystal 40L Malt 10L (10.25%)
8 oz Victory Malt (5.1%)
4 oz Extra Special Malt (2.5%) 

Hops:
.75 oz Northern Brewing, 8%, pellet, 60 min 30 IBU
.75 oz Northern Brewing, 8%, pellet, 15 min 8 IBU
.75 oz Northern Brewing, 8%, pellet, 0 min 0 IBU
    
Yeast:
200 mL White Labs WLP810 San Francisco Lager (2nd pitch - 1 liter 24 hrs)

Brew Day:
Brewed: 7/3/10
Kegged: TBD

Water:
San Diego (Alvarado) Tap Water
1 campden tablet for 5 gal.

Mash Details:
H2O/Grain Ratio: 1.33 qt/lb
Mash Volume: 3.25 gal
Sacc Rest. Temp/Time: 152F @ 60min
Strike Temp: 169F
Batch Sparge Volume: 4.25 gal
Sparge Temp/Time: 170F @ 30min

Boil Details:
Boil Volume: 6.5 gal
Boil Time: 60min
Post Boil Volume: 5 gal

Ferment Details:
O.G.: 1.053
Ferment Temp: 62F
Length: 14 days in primary
Ferment Temp: 65F
Length: 7 days in primary
F.G.: TBD


9/20/10 Update: This beer was evaluated by some great homebrewers in QUAFF. They were big fans of the carmel malt flavor. But the Northern Brewer aroma just wasn't there. And I agree I dry hopped this beer and it got much closer to what I wanted. Next time I brew this I will probably bump the flame-out addition to 2 oz.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...