Friday, February 18, 2011

Dreg Series: Old Ale with Avery 15 Brett

Since I was just blown away with my results with these Brett strains in the Avery 15 / Drie Bitter I had to do another batch. And also since this is a Brett Only beer with no other bugs, I'm not too concerned with super attenuation. I am still letting these beers sit for a couple months before bottling but not the normal 12 months I would with other sour beers.









I am still waiting for the Bitter to carbonate before I do a review but just from the smell and gravity sample I know this yeast gives off a lot of fruit flavors. So when I was constructing my Old Ale recipe and thinking about how I want the some dark fruit flavors I knew I had to try this yeast on some of the wort. I'm thinking this beer is going to give me a delicious thick FRUIT CAKE beer.

The yeast took off again, with activity within a couple hours even with this higher alcohol content. It appeared to be fully fermented in a week.
 
02.17.11 Gravity at 1.020 (that is 7.2% ABV, and 73% Apparent Attenuation)
The taste is fantastically sour. This beer tastes like a year old beer. It is not quite as complex as I want it and the malt flavor is hidden a bit behind all the sour fruity notes. Has a nice mouthfeel and is not too sweet. But easily one of the better sours I've had and only after a month!
Add .25 oz French Oak cubes and 3 oz Turbinado Sugar (adds 8 pts or 2% alcohol)
07.22.11 Gravity 1.014. Overall beer went from 1.071 + .008(sugar) = 1.079 = 8.6% ABV and 82% Apparent Attenuation. Bottled to 2.5 Volumes. Nice sweet and sour balance. Then carmel and toffee flavor. Also a decent amount of sourness for Brett Only. 

2 comments:

  1. I just saw your review on the White Labs site and that this is one of the beers that you aerated with WLP644. Am doing a sour ipa with it and was wanting some of the tart, sour notes and wondering if you aerated with an oxygen stone or just shaking vigorously? I don't use a stone, but my buddy just got one and wanted to get some of the sourness from aeration, but don't want to go overboard either... Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not use a aeration stone. It should be noted that you probably won't get too much sourness right away, just a slight tartness over time.

      For example we just did a super hoppy Brett Trois/Drie brew - http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/search/label/Brett%20Drie
      And it was aerated but we drank it within about a month and there was very little perceived tartness to that beer.

      To get something sour you will need to use a lactic acid bacteria(lacto (faster) or pedio(slow, but more sour over time).If you want to do this and still have a hoppy beer, then give the beer time to develop the sourness and then add a lot of dry hops before kegging/bottling.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...