Thursday, July 21, 2011

Dreg Series: Lente Saison de Bruery

This beer is another off-shoot of the Traditional French Saison I brewed at Big Brew Day (along with the Brett C version). I have heard good things about The Bruery's Saison de Lente and I was headed to a friend's B-Day camp-out so I figured it would be appropriate. Then I remembered that I was going to be brewing just before the event so why not make an extra gallon then toss in the dregs.








So that is what I did. The wort was not temperature controlled, but did remain in the mid 70s all the way through fermentation. The wort was not purposely aerated, but probably had a decent amount of dissolved oxygen since it was transported in the back of my car.









The yeast took off in about 24 hours which is pretty good for bottle dregs without a starter. And fermentation was violent by the third day. By the end of the week all active fermentation seemed to be done. This beer will be bulk aged for about 6 months before bottling. I have heard that the Brett strain that The Bruery uses works pretty quickly, but I will still check the gravity over the course of several months to confirm.






Update 03.20.12
Gravity - 0.997
I have read about the Bruery's yeast producing a high attenuation and this proves it. The sample from the hydrometer has some nice stone fruit notes, but little to no sourness or Brett funk. Obviously, the taste was also very dry and similar to a dry Chardonnay. I may decide to add something to this batch or just bottle it now as is. I'm not worried about the gravity going anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...