Thursday, October 20, 2011

Homebrew Tasting: Dark Saison - Sour Version

For the most part my Dark Saison really came together. I tasted the beer about a month after fermentation and it was very rough and muddled. Even with the Saison yeast the beer had a decent amount of alcohol warmth, but that was to be expected for a 9% beer. I knew with time that this beer would end up being pretty nice. I decided to bottle a gallon of the straight version. Then another 6-12 oz bottles with Jolly Pumpkin dregs at bottling and  6 more bottles with Avery 15 dregs (I used a sanitized pipette to take 2 ml of yeast stored in White Lab vials) . I then had about 2.5 gallons that I racked to a keg and added dregs from Jolly Pumpkin and Avery 15. I was inspired to go sour after reading the Mad Fermentationist review his Dark Sour Saisons. And I knew this would go over well as a special keg to bring out this Fall and Winter.


One flavor that I forgot in my tasting notes was tobacco. I have heard that term so much, but never experienced it until it hit me after drinking my second glass that night. (Notice in the picture I only gave myself smaller 10 oz pours so I feel like I'm at a bar).

I'll be tapping the rest of the keg soon and give you feedback from others.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...