Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Quick Sour Beers: Classic Gose

I am a huge fan of sours beers as you may tell from most of my posts. The tough part about these beers is the waiting. Which is one reason why I am making as many as I do. By about May of next year I'll have a new sour beer every month from my 1 gal experiments. In the mean while I want something with a decent turn around. And then I saw this post and that it sounded great (he also does a great job at explaining the style). I also really liked the idea that Cascade Brewing does by having a new Gose for each season. I figured I should start with the classic example (Stan Hieronymus explains "goes-a" well).
For this new beer I decided to do a 1 gallon batch so I can understand the technique before investing too much. Since this is only a gallon batch I thought it is also a great time to do some stove-top brewing. And that means brew-in-a-bag time and No Sparge.
Recipe: Classic Gose
O.G.-1.043?  F.G.-1.005   IBU-12.7
SRM-5  ABV-~2.5%?   Cal-120

Grain Bill (75% Efficiency-Missed it by a mile):
14 oz White Wheat Malt (56%)
10 oz Belgian Pilsner (40%)
1 oz Acid Malt (4%)
3 g Indian Coriander (added with 5 min in boil)
3 g Indian Sea Salt (added with 5 min in boil)

Hops:
.1 oz US Goldings, 4.9%, pellet, 60 min 12.7 IBU


Yeast:
1/2 packet of Red Star Bread Yeast
 Brew Day:
Brewed: 11/9/10
Bottled: 11/21/10

Water:
San Diego (Alvarado) Filtered Water

Mash Details:
H2O/Grain Ratio: 3.8 qt/lb
Mash Volume: 4 gal
Sacc Rest. Temp/Time: 149F @ 60min
Strike Temp: 153F
Batch Sparge Volume: No Sparge


Sour Mash Details:
O.G.: 1.030
Sour Mash Temp: 115-120F (keep warm setting on Crock-Pot)
Length: 4 days
Boil Details:
Boil Volume: 1.2 gal (used sour gal + 22 oz bottled wort)
Boil Time: 60min
Post Boil Volume: ~1 gal

Ferment Details:
O.G.: 1.030?
Ferment Temp: 70-75F
Length: 7 days in primary
F.G.: 1.005

I bottled this with 1 oz of corn sugar for the gal. shooting for just under 3 volumes. Since this was boiled and uses Sacc. yeast I am not concerned with bottle bombs. Yes, there is probably some lacto from the bread yeast but it probably won't produce CO2 and there was very little residual sugar anyways.

A few notes:
  • I think I lost way more efficiency than I expect with the brew in a bag and no sparge. So next time plan for that.
  • I tried a method that worked before that just involves running the wort from the mash tun straight into the fermenter. The max temperature the wort sees is 150 and therefore the lacto and other bugs should be ready to go. But it didn't seem to take off so I added some grain (which I will do in the future to ensure I get lacto). At no time did it form a layer on top but after 4 days the wort had a nice sourness but also a somewhat nasty rotted corn smell. Good thing this is getting boiled off.
  • The Crockpot worked great 
  • The hydro sample was nicely tart but didn't have much malt or other flavors to it. This is probably a result of the low starting gravity.


Tasting to Follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...